Cosmos: Causal Consistency on the Network Edge
- Title: Cosmos: Causal Consistency on the Network Edge
- Financing: FCT (PTDC/EEI-COM/29271/2017)
- Coordination: Luis Rodrigues
- contact: email@example.com
- Duration: 3
- Start: 01/06/2018
- Description:This project aims at designing, implementing, and evaluating Cosmos, a storage system to support edge-computing. Systems such as Cosmos are of extremely practical relevance today. As the number of devices connected to the internet grows, it becomes unfeasible to store and process all data in a few (centralised) datacenters, without the support of the computing power that lies at the edge of the network. In fact, it is estimated that as early as 2018, 40% of the data created by IoT devices will need to be processed in the edge. The design of Cosmos is based on most recent technological advances in the areas of consistency management, overlay management, and dependability assurance, to build a storage system that can operate efficiently and reliably in the resource constrained and unstable edge devices. Cosmos will be made available to the community as an open source project.