specSTM: Software Transactional Memory with Thread-Level Speculation Support
- Title: Software Transactional Memory with Thread-Level Speculation Support
- Financing: FCT (PTDC/EIA-EIA/122785/2010)
- Coordination: João Barreto
- Page: http://www.dpss.inesc-id.pt/project-pages/specSTM
- Duration: 3
- Start: 01/01/2012
- Description:As the number of available cores grows each year, the challenge of coding programs that exploit that much parallelism becomes more and more amplified. Although new emerging paradigms such as Transactional Memory or Thread-Level Speculation promise to simplify concurrent programming, they still exhibit key limitations when the goal is to expose high levels of parallelism. specSTM project will depart from stand-alone STM algorithms combine them with TLS support. Hence, specSTM will leverage STM with the ability to automatically parallelize each thread forked by the programmer (in the multi-threaded TM program).